It occurred to me that it might be fun to talk to myself while I’m planning and let you eavesdrop on the conversation: I’ll share each week’s Big List, the week I hope to have.
10.23.22 – 10.29.22
- 23rd – Colts football game
- 29th – Peanut Butter Hand day*
- 29th – Lucinda Williams’ Tom Petty tribute album (2021)
- Trunk or Treat
* Peanut Butter Hand day – a Fleck family holiday, based on a memory of one of my children who, as a toddler, once said to their peanut butter covered hand, “don’t do it hand, don’t wipe it on you’s shirt” and their hand puppet talked back, “but I really, really want to!” If you don’t have some silly personal holidays, can I encourage you to invent some? No need to be elaborate, just observe the anniversary of something that brings you joy.
First things first …
- What is essential?
- What is “extra” that I can edit?
- What do I need help with?
- What can I delegate?
- Are there any shortcuts or compromises that will still work? We’re after joy and accomplishment, not perfection here.
I plan to be kind of a couch potato in the evenings, putting up my feet and knitting along to …
- Toy Story of Terror
- Halloween Baking Championship
- Halloween Wars
- Outrageous Pumpkins
- Halloween Cookie Challenge
- Monster House
- James and the Giant Peach
- Arthur’s Halloween (PBS Kids)
- The Addams Family
- Corpse Bride
- Mickey Mouse “The Scariest Story”
- The Frasier Halloween episodes:
- 5:3 Halloween
- 9:6 Room Full of Heroes
- 10:5 Tales From the Crypt
This is a good time of year to bookmark the Christmas TV Schedule site, if you haven’t already.
To Do / Enjoy / Remember:
- Pay Day is this week:
- Budget by paycheck
- Stuff cash envelopes
- Final touches on Halloween costumes
- Finish decorating inside for Halloween
- Decorate outside for Halloween
- Rake leaves, yard work
- Cut back perennials for winter
- Create leaf art with the kids
- Bake Halloween cookies
- Drive around town and look at Halloween decorations
- Winterize the house, seal up windows
- Living room:
- Move furniture and thoroughly vacuum
- Use attachments and vacuum living room furniture
- Polish wood furniture
- Clean surfaces and bookshelves
- Clean all glass, mirrors, picture frames, windows, etc.
- Work on holiday cards
- Buy Halloween trick or treats
- Fill Halloween treat bags
- Purchase some Christmas gifts
- Mail J a birthday card
- Update Roku screensaver – I use family photos
- Write out November schedule for the kids’ sports and clubs
- Vote (early voting in my state has begun)
I want to make sure to give credit where it is due and cite my main influences:
I have my routines and rituals in a file I call The Big List. Compiled from years of calendars and To Do lists, it is a list of what I want to remember, celebrate, and accomplish. Arranged weekly, I print out The Big List and carry it around the house on a clipboard, checking things off as I go.
From cleaning routines to celebrity birthdays to my obsession with listening to records from our vinyl collection on the date they were released, The Big List is the things I want to do, observe, and spend my time on in any given week.